Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Henmurray Mania

Just watched Andy Murray win the quarter at Wimbledon from my motel in Sonora. Congratulations to him.

Not done anything particularly special today, except had a lapse at some music on the drive over here. These things happen I suppose. http://www.alanjackson.com/home/SS_vid.php
Recommend you listen to this (yes its a country song, but it set me off), then hit the 'back' button and read the rest of the blog (to cheer yourself up).


* * *


What can I talk about. Hmmmm. Oooh! Oooh! I know. Cars! (I apologise if this is boring for some readers).

So one of the things I've realised whilst driving the Tahoe, is just how much character these American cars have. Not just Tahoes; all American made motors. Stuff just breaks when it feels like it. The rear window opens on the Tahoe separate from the whole tailgate, just in case you have a pair of step ladders handy, or fancied doing a slam dunk with the shopping to try and get it in the trunk - boot. The other day in New Orleans, I opened the rear glass window, and off popped the gas strut, nearly took me bloody eye out. It probably didn't like the weather in New Orleans. Bear in mind that the Tahoe was built in 2009. That's this year and stuff is breaking already. Brill!

They don't, as a rule, handle particularly well - this would have something to do with forgetting about shock absorbers when they insert the springs. Either that, or shock absorbers are far to expensive to bother with anyway - so you just kind of float and bounce down the street. All the cars do it. It makes you laugh to look at some of the bouncing cars - but then you realise you're doing it too, then you get sea sick. You stop laughing for fear some bile might come out.

But they do look great. They sound great too, with their big V8s. There's nothing like the sound of a V8. Its better than the sound of a V12 or any other engine in my opinion. V8 has rumble. They do 9 mpg up hills (flat out accelerating the Bora will not do that little). They have personality.

My Bora (Jetta, for US readers) is, conversely, the second most boring car in the world. After the Passat (that's so boring, I've never seen one in America). I mean, it literally does everything I ask it to do, and still gets 50mpg. It never goes wrong (I've said it now), and just does everything no worries. It goes round corners, accelerates, all the electrics work... and its like 7 years old. Its boring. Find a 7 year old American car (if you can), and the wheels will have fallen off. Or it will be rusting in a field. They just aren't built to last. "Built in obselescence" was the theory. It worked all right.

The closest I get to character, is the Boxster. But that does everything I want, and exceeds all expectations. Well the glove box has fallen off, so it does have a little character - but to be fair, I couldn't afford it if it suddenly developed real personality...

So enough (almost) about cars.

Traveling to Sonora today, and yet again all you see strewn all over the pavement (that means "road" over here) are bits of exploded tyre... The I-10 is the place where tyres come to die a horrible, explosive death. But people do use them to destruction over here - they don't worry about replacements with 4mm left; oh no. They use them until the metal bands appear. Then continue to use them. Then wonder why they explode. But I tell you what, its character. Its fun not knowing whether you will get to your destination or whether your blow out will send your car careening into the nearest ravine. It puts the P in Personality. Certainly makes life interesting.

The roads certainly lull you into a false sense of security. You can be texting away, emailing, or composing your next blog post, you know, generally minding your own business, and the road suddenly throws up a bend! Before you know it, you've crossed the yellow line, gone over the rumble strip, and are doing a General Lee over the median... Yeee Haaaaaaahhhhh!

I almost dropped my Blackberry into my 8 gallon Starbucks bucket (cup), in suprise when I saw the speed limit change on I-10 too. It went from 70mph to 80mph! (65mph at night). Couldn't believe it! I don't think the Tahoe could either. It lurched forward, almost hungry for the speed. As quick as the speed came, the gas went though, sending the fuel tank needle hurtling over to the big fat E. Time to get my big fat wallet out (its full of receipts) and get some more.

The landscape changed too, soon out of Houston. It went from being very very flat for the last week and 3 days, to being hilly. Not Andrea and Garry hilly (mountainous), but Tim hilly. Like small hills. That the Tahoe can make it up. I think the Tahoe must be like me which is probably why I like it so much. It has a big belly. And no beard. ("Do I really have to go up there? Going to need some food").

The only other thing to mention, is that in Houston, I kept seeing signs and adverts on TV for Cigar parlours for men. How brill is that?!???!?!?! It almost made me want to take up cigar smoking just so I could go along!!!! (I'd have to wear a Stetson, and a .44 though).

I love this country!

No comments: