Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Supplementary - Sonora, TX

You have to realise that sometimes I write stuff on my Blackberry when I'm out and about and save it for publishing to the blog later. This is one of those occasions!


Sonora, Texas, is a little transit town right out of the Old West. This IS the Old West actually.


See the pictures. How quiet is this place?!


Anyway, so I'm staying at the local Best Western and fancied a bite to eat this evening, as I generally do most evenings. (Lunchtimes and Breakfasts too, come to mention it). I go and ask the front desk where would be good to eat, and she recommended the Mexican-American restaurant next door.


Well. What a place!


Picture this: sun setting, big pickup trucks in the parking lot, with big tyres, dents and big manly tools just thrown in the back. Authentic dirt sprayed up the sides from the wheel arches. This is it! The place I wanted to visit! Good ol' small town Texas!


Walking into the restaurant, I nearly fell over as I walked in - couldn't see a thing with my Oakleys on. The place had a few people in there, wasn't packed out or anything. I shown to a booth, complete with ripped vinly seats (the foam showing through in places), and thick dark 70s wood veneer table.


This is the kind of place where knives are for steak - where they serve beer and frozen glass separately so you have to pour it yourself (oops, just realised! The glass is for girls! Men drink from the bottle! Got it right for the second attempt).


I'm sure they forgave me; with my foreign accent, European clothes, and that funny black thing that lit up when I pressed the keys.


No joke, as I'm writing this - the soundtrack is "Wild Thing" by the Troggs. OMG this place is fantastic!


The food was delicious even if they did use copious amounts of that fake cheese which comes from a tube and has never seen a cow let alone been from one in a previous life, and considering the place was from the 70s, the prices were bang up to date. Another $20 meal!


Although I love Mexican food - and the people are lovely too, everyone I've met has been very nice actually - I'm just not used to the politeness! - I was expecting West Texas (Don't Mess With Texas) to be Steak Houses and gritty American bars, with horses tied up outside. Well I was hoping that was the case anyway.

No comments: