Saturday, June 20, 2009

American Chinese

I managed to visit the supermarket and bought myself 24 cans of BudLight, a cooler, and some water for the ve-hicle. Better to buy the beer and drink it at the hotel ($13 for 24 cans!) than pay the $5 per beer at a restaurant...
Speaking of restaurants, just been to the local Chinese in Absecon. I was served with a bowl of chips (crisps) and two curious looking smaller bowls of sauces, one yellowy and one redish. On further investigation, it appears that English Mustard was the yellowy sauce and the redish one was sweet chilli. Not sure why they thought it was a good idea to serve crisps with English Mustard... perhaps the Americans think that English Mustard is a unique taste from the far east... It was also strange that I was served (to accompany the chips and English Mustard) with a pot of tea. Chinese tea, I was expecting. That weak, but hot tea that we get in England. No sir! I'm quite sure that the tea was of Tetleys origin. Strong, but with no sugar and milk, with a very Tetley-esque flavour... no wonder the waiter spent the evening looking at me funny. I just thought it was because I was alone (surely most restaurants have seen solitary diners before...); but no - I think he knew the game was up. Having an Englishman in the restaurant sampling the chips and mustard along with Tetley tea...

No comments: